Thursday, October 30, 2014

Gracefully Aging, Day 30: Helen Mirren

Helen Mirren
photo credit 
We all know women who wear their age well...who are lovely in spite of the advancing years.

In my case, those women include my mom and my older sister, both of whom I've profiled in this series.

There are a few famous women who also appear to be aging well.  One of them is actress Helen Mirren, who was recently chosen as a spokesmodel for L'Oreal Paris.

Several years ago, at the age of 63, Mirren set the world back on its heels when a paparazzi caught her on the beach wearing a red bikini and looking fantastic in it.

This is from a recent article:

"...Mirren, thank the Lord, doesn’t feel bad about her face... She doesn’t look like someone who has had work done. She looks like a woman who has lived a bit, and laughed a lot, and who knows she has been lucky in her looks, but also knows that how you look is a pretty small part of who you are. She looks, in fact, like a woman who is happy in her skin. 'The weird thing is,' she says, 'you get more comfortable in yourself, even as time is giving you less reason for it. When you’re young and beautiful, you’re paranoid and miserable. And then you’re older and it’s ironic.'"

And this from an article about the now 69-year-old Mirren's new role for L'Oreal:

"Participants [in a consumer survey] described Mirren as 'genuine, intelligent and glamorous, with looks that seem only to improve with the passing of time.'  And this down-to-earth, positive approach to ageing comes across in the 69-year-old’s comments about the L’Oréal gig: 'I am not gorgeous, I never was, but I was always OK-looking and I’m keen to stay that way.

'I hope I can inspire other women towards greater confidence by making the most of their natural good looks. We are all worth it!'"

photo credit


I'm participating in "31 Days: A Writing Challenge,"  in which I 'm blogging on the subject of Gracefully Aging every day during the month of October.  Click the button below for more information and links to each post as they become available!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I love that she just got that gig. But I do think she is gorgeous.

Anastasia Rose said...

She is a gorgeous woman, and I admire how she deals with aging not as a curse but as a gift. Thank you for sharing this!

Anastasia Rose
#write31days
walk-in-the-rain-with-me.blogspot.com

Julie Kieras said...

yeah I'd love to look that way at 69!! She seems lovely inside and out! Love the quotes you shared!

Sarah Marie said...

She's so encouraging! What a wonderful thing, to embrace oneself with enthusiasm and grace. Beautiful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails